Monday, August 1, 2011

Hope

There is hope.

That sounds silly. Everyone says it. It is the usual response to something bad that happened. "Have hope," they say.

But, they don't know. It is so easy to say to have hope; that life goes on and things get better. You will be assured of this a million times, I can promise you this.

The truth is: they don't understand. They just want you to feel better. Most of the time though, they want you to feel better, so that they can feel better about you not doing so well. Make sense? I read that somewhere...

What no one tells you though, when they are trying to make you feel better is that you will start to feel better if you WANT to feel better. Do you want to be better? Do you want to pick yourself up out of the dark pit of depression and start to live your life?

Don't get me wrong - it can't be done all by yourself. You might need a therapist, a doctor, friends, family, medicine, and so on. The point I am trying to make though, is that you need to want to get better.

I figured this out this weekend.

I learned the hard way.

This weekend, I spent more time in bed and crying than I have in a very long time. I was so far down in that deep pit of depression, I couldn't get out. I was stuck.

Then, it dawned on me. I need to get up. I need to do something. It didn't matter what it was, just as long as I was up and being productive.

You want to know what? It helped. Getting my butt up and out of bed, even though I wanted so badly to stay there and cry all day, helped me. It did wonders.

My piece of advice to you, is to get up and do something! Help yourself! It may take more help than just doing things to get you up and stop crying, but it is a start!

-Lara

No comments: