Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sunrises and Sunsets

Have you ever sat and watched the sun rise? Have you ever really watched? Stayed up all night and took in the experience? How about a sunset?

Where I live, the sun has already set and most of my family are in bed.

I was doing some stumble upon and a picture of a sunset came up. It was breath taking. Then, I realized that the last time I watched the sun rise, actually watched it, was my junior year of high school. Even then, I think I took it for granted and just brushed it off as another thing that is just part of life.

The thing is, it isn't guaranteed. Life is a gift. Every day, every minute is time you have to cherish.

So, I started looking up more pictures of sunsets and sunrises. It suddenly hit me while I was doing this - sunsets and sunrises are a lot like what I am going through right now in my life. I can totally relate to them. It may sound like I am crazy saying that. How can I possibly relate to something that most people don't even notice? You'll see.

Here's how:
Today, I was talking with a friend and he asked me how I am doing. We talked for a little while and before we went our separate ways, he said, "There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Have faith. I love you." Those words made me stand still. I couldn't respond. This man, that I have known since I was 14, didn't judge me. Instead, he showed his love and acceptance. He was genuine and when some moments get hard, I try to remind myself of what he said. I had a bad time this evening and I thought of what he said, and it grounded me. I felt safe and loved.



The light at the end of the tunnel is like a sunrise. It is dark and scary, but soon enough, the light shines through the darkness. Things become less scary. The thing that you saw outside was not the monster you thought it was, only a tree. There is no creature in your closet, just your clothing. Things become clearer. Things get easier to see.

But, just like the sunset, things can get dark again. The frightening feeling comes back and the panic. The feeling of being alone in the dark and no one understands you. It is real. It is there. In time though, the sunset will happen and the time in the dark will be over.

-Lara

No comments: